Every year around this time, I’m asked the same questions about listing during the holidays: Is now a good time list, or would it be better to wait until January? Should I pull my house off the market during the holidays?
For some reason, most people think that it’s a really bad time of year to sell. Actually, that could not be further from the truth. It’s a great time to sell. Every year, December is my best month for selling homes, there’s no doubt about it.
It can be a hectic time for people, with all of the holiday hustle and bustle and other stuff going on. So why would you want to list your house and keep it on the market during that time? In fact, there are a number of reasons, and here are the first six of the top 12 that you should think about:
1. Buyers are more serious. Looky-loos and other potential buyers who aren’t altogether serious about buying won’t be out during this time to look for homes. People who need to buy soon are going to be the ones out looking. This means fewer showings for you and less trouble getting ready for those showings.
2. Less competition. Those serious buyers that are out looking for homes have fewer options available to them. This means they’re more likely to give you a good offer on the home, which is a really big deal for you, the seller.
3. The supply of homes will increase after the holiday season, which means less demand for your home, and in turn, that means less money for you.
4. Houses show better when they’re decorated for the holidays.
5. Buyers are more emotional during the holidays. They’re more likely to base their decisions on how they feel about your house, which means they’re more likely to pay your price.
6. Buyers have more time to look during the holidays. People tend to have more time off during the holiday season, which affords them extra time to look through available homes.
It makes no sense to wait til next year to list, so do it now. Stay tuned for next time, when I will give you six additional reasons to think about listing your home sooner than later. If you have any questions or need anything, give me a call or send an email. I’d be glad to help you out in any way that I can.